Friday, March 12, 2010

Counting my many blessings

Many of you might now of my new crazy-busy life. I was made the Relief Society President on January 24th. I am excited, humbled, and motivated for this new opportunity. I have come to love the sisters in my ward and I really have a testimony of Relief Society. The experiences the past 6 weeks have surely been "baptism by fire," and I am in awe of the strength the Lord can bestow on you.

13 days after my calling, tragedy struck my ward. Rebbeca (age 4) and Rachel Toone (age 15 months) passed away from pesticide poisoning. Rebbeca's mom, Brenda had brought by a registration form, the day before her death, for her to attend preschool next year. It has been one of the saddest things that I have ever witnessed, but I can't even describe to you the faith and testimony that this little family demonstrates. I feel honored and blessed to have been able to visit with Brenda at the hospital the day after Rebbeca passed away. (Rachel was still in the hospital fighting the poison.) Through tears, Brenda pleaded with me to share with the ward, that she knew she would see her daughter again. She said that it was going to be so hard, but that she knew that Christ would give her the strength to handle this trial. My testimony became much stronger that day, for as I felt the spirit in that heart felt testimony, I too, KNEW that their family would be together forever and I KNEW that Christ would be there to lift their family and carry them through this unbearable pain. I have a testimony that families can be together forever and I can truly testify of the healing power of the Atonement of Christ.


The reason I share this is, through the Toone's example, I have realized that I am missing the small moments because I am dwelling on the stress and obstacles of daily life. (If you go here, the Toone family has been posting memories of these two adorable girls). I have decided that every once in awhile I need to stop and remember the things my beautiful children are doing. Everyone knows that I have a terrible memory, but that doesn't mean I can't count my blessings everyday and preserve these memories.



Today I choose to count my sleeping children as a blessing. Often times I go into their rooms and I marvel how special these children are. During the day they are going in a million directions, but at night they are so calm and sweet.

Kimball is still sharing my bed (one day I'm going to break that habit) He sleeps so well as long as he has that dang binkie and Chris or I next to him. Eventually we're going to kick him out of our bed, but it is nice for him to be my baby a little bit longer.

Carter crashes when he sleeps...even though he asks me nightly "how do you fall asleep?" He is usually asleep within minutes of hitting the pillow. He's the last one to roll out of bed in the morning.

Kathryn still very much enjoys sleeping, but she talks herself to sleep and wakes up talking. I'm sure she will be a sleep talker. She is all girl, as I caught her asleep holding her purse. Lately she needs her "ballet blankie" her "little carebear" her "purple dor-la" among other things she insists on bringing to bed with her.

3 comments:

Shay said...

Great post Mary Jane, I heard about that family even out here in Ohio, they are lucky to be in your ward and to have you as a friend. We have friends who found out one week ago that their 3 year old has satge 3 cancer, she starts chemo today. I have been counting my blessings more and more because of them. I wish it didn't take life moments such as these to make us take a step back. Love ya. -Shay

Lena Phillips said...

Oh my heck, that is so cute. I especially LOVE that Kathryn has a purse around her dainty little arm.

amy said...

so sweet and a good reminder to hug them all while they are here, child and grown up alike! I was so proud of you and trying hard to send prayers your way and the TOone's way that life changing week. Still think of them and wonder how they are holding up.
Love you!