I felt like my mother this weekend.
Every fall she would spend hours bottling the fruits and veggies from my grandpa's garden and/or the produce from road side stands. I never quite understood the hours and dedication it took to take the fresh fruit and transform it into the bottles that we retrieved from the basement when we were hungry. We have been the benefactors of two yummy peach trees that were planted before we bought our house, and I bottled 15 quarts of peaches that grew this year. They were small but very delicious! I'm sure my kids will never really understand the time and dedication that each of those bottles of peaches represents (it's quite time consuming to skin them all), but I'm sure they will love the taste of summer found in the basement.
I also attempted to make pie. Definitely a "Kathleen Boswell" pastime. With my mom as a tutor and three attempts, I finally got the crust right. The fresh peaches in the pie were perfect!
Now...onto mustard pickle. Hee Hee...maybe I'll leave that to mom!
5 comments:
YUM! I just did the same thing minus the pies. i made pies last week. This week was banana bread (mom's recipe of course!). Definitely hard word and very time consuming, but well worth every bite!
I don't know how yummy Kathleen Boswell's pies were back in the day, but I'll bet her daughter Mary Jane could give her a run for her money now! The pie was delicious! Thanks MJ!
You're description is far more glorious than mine. Plus pies! Everything you do is golden. Well, I'm moving on to PIC stuff and zuccini bread to freeze.
I love it!! It's funny how we do things we never thought we would want to do! I am totally like my mom, but I guess that's not a bad thing. Oh, and I DID hear about Midnight Sun, and I was soooooo sad about it. I, of course, read what she had posted right away. It was so good, and I hope that once she calms down a little, that she might finish writing it and just post the rest. That's what I'm hoping for. It's so sad that one person has to ruin it for the rest of us.
Isn't it funny how for so long we hate the thought of being like our mothers, then one day you wake up and realize you are turning out to be just like her! The peaches look delicious and I know what you mean about the pie crusts, sometimes I throw batches away because I am not happy with how they look. You are such a domestic goddess! What day are you doing Carters b-day party?
Post a Comment