Friday, May 20, 2011

Remembering the reason I started a preschool...


I wanted to be with my kids. I wanted to see how they interact with their peers, I wanted to see how they wrote their name for the first time, I wanted to have an influence on them just as much as I was having with the other students I was teaching.

It's been a little more challenging this year with being pregnant and my patience isn't as enduring. Kathryn isn't as much as a "pleaser" as Carter was last year. She likes things her own way and doesn't really like to share. She needs a lot more of my one-on-one attention. She has gotten better over the year, and I'm so glad I got to watch this process. Perhaps she wouldn't have had these challenges if she would have been in another preschool, but I got to be her teacher, and isn't that what a mom should be to her daughter?


She had a big improvement after her friends Izzy and Scout joined the class in January. She felt that she had close friends and someone to lean on and someone who paid her attention.

I let Kimball start coming to the 3 year old class after his birthday. Oh! How he loved being with his friend Bo. He always wanted to sit by him. (Kathryn was very disappointed in this - she thought she was going to get to mother him). He was a typical new 3 year old as he learned to cut, the paper was in teeny tiny pieces all over. His paper was covered with glue stick, and his "writing" was scribbles. He was so serious as he "wrote" his name. He kinda freaked out if anything didn't go his way, but I am so glad I got to experience these first days of preschool with him.

Preschool is now over for the summer. I kinda don't know what to do with myself. I've started lots of projects without finishing anything. What I should do is learn how to be a mom again. I've felt very stretched thin, and played the role as "Miss Mary" or the grumpy mom who tried to get the house clean. Hopefully I'll get it figured out soon.

No comments: