Thursday, October 9, 2008

Before/After Primary Children's Hospital

BEFORE: Kathryn was diagnosed with Kidney Reflux when she was 9 months old.  We found out she had this problem after she was running a high fever for several days.  They tested her urine and they found out that she had a UTI.  We were sent to Primary Children's Hospital where they did a test to show that her bladder was pushing urine back up into her kidneys.  This causes UTIs.  They told us that usually children grow out of this within a year.  Meanwhile they put her on a antibiotic to prevent any infections.
For one year we suffered with the antibiotics. She would get severe diarrhea 6-7 times a day
and yeast infections.  She was pretty miserable for the entire time.  After a year, they sent us back to Primary Children's for another test.  This time they found out that the condition had gotten worse. Our pediatrician sent us to a pediatric urologist.  When we met with the doctor, and explained the side effects of the antibiotics they said, "Oh, she's one of those kids."  I guess most kids don't have such a bad reaction to the medicines.  They said that it would be better to have the surgery to fix the problem.
Fast forward to October 8th
Chris and I were very nervous. But after a priesthood blessing from Papa Kim and Chris we were given some peace.  Kathryn didn't have a clue what she was getting herself into. Have you ever been to Primary Children's?  It is the most kid-friendly place I've ever been.  She played with toys while we were waiting for all the pre-op stuff.  Blowing bubbles at the nurses and "cooking" in the waiting room with the other children. (Side note- seeing the other children in the waiting room could have broken my heart.  There are so many children with serious illnesses and worse problems.  I admire them and their parents!) When they gave her "new pajamas" she was so excited.  She felt so important showing off her painted fingernails and toenails.  "Papa - pink - again." (Translation: Grandpa Boz painted my fingernails pink, but they need to be done again.) Right before the surgery she was running up and down the halls, playing on the scooters, cars, and wagons.  She was in 7th heaven.  Then they gave her some medicine to drug her up and to make her a little loopy before we had to be separated.  Boy! She was in la-la-land after she swallowed.  The anesthesiologists were so cute with her while we waited for the doctors.  She just laid in the wagon flying high as a kite.  When I hugged her good-bye she just reached down and said "wagon." Bye sweetie...do your best!

AFTER: 3 hours later (it was suppose to be a 2 hour surgery), Dr. Wallis came to report that the surgery went well.  She went to sleep well and was stable throughout the surgery. Her ureters (the tube from the kidney to the bladder) were a little shorter than normal and it caused for a little more work.  They repositioned the tubes on the bladder so they will not reflux. They had to leave a stint in one of the ureters for drainage purposes. I was able to go into the recovery room to help her wake up.  She was so tired and her voice was raspy. The rest of the day and night were pretty rough.  She was moaning and nothing we could do would console her.  It is a powerless feeling to watch my baby struggling with pain and confusion and not be able to help her.  That night Chris stayed with her while I went home to take care of Carter and Kimball. She stayed in the hospital for two nights while the nurses watched her ability to pee and keep down food.  We were sent home on Friday morning.  At home, she was glad to be with Carter but didn't want to get up much. The next 24 hours (plus) was spent cleaning up throw-up. 
 On Saturday evening we called the on-call doctor and he said he wanted her re-admitted in the hospital to hydrate her. We're here now, watching our little girl sleep. She's had a rough time having a catheter and IV. She has a UTI they are treating her for and pumping her full of liquid. She is constantly saying "osh" which is interrupted as "off" while pointing to her IV. Sad. I know that she will be better soon, but in the heat of the moment, it breaks my heart. I'm so grateful for good doctors and nurses, and this hospital has been amazing. (Well the ER pretty much stunk! 4 hours of waiting around, but I digress).  She's loved the wagon rides and the play area.  Books and toys are in abundance...a "well" child would love this hospital.
We'd love and appreciate your prayers while we are still working on the "after."


9 comments:

Brooke and Ben said...

Kathryn,
We are praying for you! I am so sorry that you had to go through this! You are so brave!
We are praying for mom and dad too!
Mary, she is such a sweet thing! It is sooooo hard for me to have sick little ones, and we haven't even had surgery! I hope she is better soon, and all my thoughts and prayers are with you.
love,
Brooke

Melissa said...

That breaks my heart too! I am so sad Katy-girl is sick :( We are definitely thinking of you guys at this time. Wish we were there to give you big hugs and yummy dinner and of course treats! Can't wait to see you this weekend. Love Lissi, Blaiseroni, Aspen Jane and Jeff Todd

Amy said...

My prayers are with you. I was wondering how things went. PLEASE let me know if I can do anything to help you guys. We blessed Sophie on Sunday, so I missed "RS" too. Hope we can get it going again!! And NO more zip dresses!!
Amy

Gourley said...

I'm glad to hear the surgery went well!! There's no words to explain the emotions you go through watching your kid suffer in pain and wanting all the IV's and tubes off for them! I agree though that it is humbling seeing the other kids waiting for surgery and wondering what there's is for. I hope this will be the end of all Kathryn's UTI problems. A year is a long time for her and you to deal with that stuff. You guys have been and will be in our prayers. Keep us updated on her recovery. Keep being strong! :)

andrew's mom said...

Poor baby girl! She looks so tiny and fragile in those pictures. She's a tough one though and will be back to her old self in no time I'm sure. It does just about break your heart though!

liz said...

I feel so bad for your sute little girl! I hope that thinsg are going well. I am sorry I missed your phone calls last weekend. We were house sitting for my sister. Please let me know what I can do for you. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

amy said...

Oh Mary...Miranda kissed the screen when she saw the pictures! SHe hopes she feels better. What lessons you are learning. What will you do with all of these? Make a better Mom and open you heart to even more scenes of how it is for others. You are my Hero! I ask myself everyday How do you do it? I guess ya just do. I love ya.
Thanks for being my inspiration for the Year... and give Katherine a BIG kiss and hug from Miranda and us!
XOXOX
Amy

Stella said...

I am so sorry to hear about your torture. There is nothing worse than watching your child suffer and not being able to do anything about it. You are so much stronger than I ever could be. I got the news a little late, but our prayers are with you and your little one.

West said...

Guys we are sad to hear about this, but happy to hear things are ok. Those pictures remind me of when Ally had her tumor removed. Scary, hard times. We miss you guys.
The Brewers