Our beloved father Wayne J. Coombs passed away peacefully in his home on Thursday July 2, 2009. He now returns back to his Heavenly Father and eternal companion LaVern (Stenquist) Coombs. Dad remains a legacy of love and leadership. His life was a perfect example of selfless sacrifice and service. He will be most remembered for his amazing smile.Born on Christmas day 1924 to goodly parents, George H. and Lillian (Jensen) Coombs, in Garland Utah. He graduated from Bear River High School and attended Utah State University.
He married his sweetheart, LaVern Stenquist on April 2, 1945 in the Logan LDS Temple. They had 57 wonderful years together until she preceded him in death on November 2, 2002. He was a devoted husband and now rejoices in their reunion. They lived and raised their family in the Ogden area.
Wayne was a valiant life-long member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in the South Ogden 5th Ward. Dad served as bishop, as bishop counselors, on the stake high council, and numerous other stake and ward callings. Dad and mom served a full-time mission on Temple Square in Salt Lake City. He was a temple ordinance worker in the Ogden Temple.
Surviving Wayne are his children: Vern (Sandy) Coombs, Washington Terrace; Steve (Annette) Coombs, Layton; Stephen Channel (son-in-law), Linton In.; Dave (Della) Coombs, Plain City; Kim (Sue Ann) Coombs, Layton, Sandy (Mark) Smith, Las Vegas, Nev.; 21 grandchildren and 26 great grandchildren.
Also surviving are his sister LoRene (James) Carter, brother Daryl Coombs.
Preceding him in death are his parents, sweetheart, LaVern, Carol Channel (daughter), Boyd Coombs (brother),Trevor Coombs (great grandson).
Funeral services will be held Tuesday, July 7, 2009 at 11 a.m. at the South Ogden 5th Ward Chapel, 4380 Orchard Ave.
Friends and family may call at Lindquist’s Ogden Mortuary, 3408 Washington Blvd. on Monday from 6 to 8 p.m. and Tuesday from 9:30 to 10:45 a.m. at the Ward Chapel.
The family would like to thank dad’s very special caregivers; David and Della Coombs, Alicia De Lara, Nancy Lara and Kelsey Lara. We would also like to thank Alpine Hospice for their kind service.
Interment, Farmington City Cemetery.
Grandpa Coombs and I had a very special relationship. I loved him dearly and he loved me. Chris and I lived with him for a few months after we were married. This was shortly after his sweetheart, LaVern, had passed away. Grandpa really struggled with losing her. He questioned where she was and what she was doing and if he would see her again. He demonstrated great faith and was such an example to me. Carter bears his name as a middle name.As the years have passed by, Grandpa has been an excellent example of enduring to the end. In February, he fell in his house and his health has deteriorated ever since. We have been fortunate to be able to visit Papa Wayne while he has been sick, having many special experiences. One occasion, Grandpa and I discussed the above photo. He told me, with light in his eyes, about the day of his wedding. He told me how cold it was and how beautiful Grandma looked in her lavender dress. He said there was no money for a honeymoon or even a reception, but that he didn't need anything besides her. He has missed his wife and I know that they reunited now. That day we also had a special conversation about why he was still here. He choked up and said, "I'm not of any use here, I'd rather be with her." He had lives to still touch, mine included.
Last Sunday, Chris and I and the kids went to visit Grandpa. He was up and trying to eat. It was very evident that Grandpa would not last long, but he was very alert at some points. I had the opportunity to feed him his last meal. His caretakers said that he really didn't eat after that. His personality and sense of humor was still very intact. He was clapping at Kimball and winking at Jean. (Della's sister) He even sang the "personality" song when I commented on his humor. I will always remember when he commented that his food was "just right," Jean asked him if he was Goldilocks. He turned to her and said, "I'm the Big, Bad Wolf." When I left I said to him, "I love you Grandpa. Remember there is a reason why you're still here. Figure it out and you can go home." He looked at me and said, "I love you, too." I guess Grandpa found his reason and is now home. I'm so happy for him. I am so happy that my children got to know him, and that I was able to have a special bond with him. I love you Grandpa and I will miss you. I know that I will see you again.
5 comments:
Hang in there, we will keep you in our prayers. And sorry to change the subject. . . . let me know when you are going to do your fun out side play day, the kids would love to go! Love ya
PS- your bangs look super cute--I hope you still like it!
My heart goes out to you...I have a sweet relationship with my Grandparents and I know how hard it is hard to lose them. I will keep you in my prayers. I love your new blog background and family photo. Darling!
It is so hard to let someone go, but when you know they are with the one they love, it makes it so peaceful too.
This was such a sweet post.
It was a great funeral (as good as funerals can be anyway.) I love the pictures of Grandpa and Grandma. We look forward to seeing you friday.
It was good to see you. (I got your blog off of Emilee's) And the funeral was a great tribute to Grandpa. We will miss him but are grateful for the privilege of having him in our lives. He is happy now and is with Grandma.
Post a Comment