Sunday, May 30, 2010

The hearts of the children turned to their fathers...

Recently, my heart has been turned to my fathers and mothers of my past. I am taking a family history class in church and my thoughts have been turned to my ancestors. I recently read a quote, "You have an heritage - honor it." In honor of my heritage, my mom suggested I teach my children about their ancestors. For memorial day, we went to Utah County to decorate the graves of my grandparents and great grandparents.
We brought the photo album, and as we drove, I shared pictures of my parents as children, my grandparents, cousins, and recounted childhood memories to my children. (Carter looks almost identical to my father, and Kathryn reminds us of my mother as a child, Kimball looks slightly like some of my cousins...but I think he gets most of his looks from his daddy's side).
At each graveside, we shared pictures and told stories about those who were buried there. It was a really special time.
Clarence O. Boswell and Alene Boswell are my paternal grandparents. Known as Grandma and Grandpa Cob. We put a flag on Grandpa's grave because he served in the Navy during WWII. Carter thought that maybe we should leave him a gun or a sword as well.
Owen and Amy Dean are my maternal great grandparents. Carter found Grandma Janice's name on the list of Owen and Amy's 11 children. She was the youngest.

Joseph and Esther Mayne are my maternal great grandparents. Grandpa Doug made a special trip over to the cemetery to share the stories of his parents.
This next week, I plan to visit Grandma and Grandpa Coombs' graves and Grandma Browning and teach my children about their father's side of the family. It was a really great activity.
While in Utah County we visited Grandma and Grandpa's house in American Fork. I have so many memories there. I'm so glad my children are getting to experience the things I did as a child. Playing in the garden, exploring the basement, being teased by Grandpa Doug and riding in the back of his truck, eating fish and chips at the Purple Turtle, seeing baby chicks, being 'bossed' around by Jannie and knowing her truly generous nature, and loving my grandparents and their house on main street. One day, years and years from now, I hope my children will take their children to the American Fork cemetery and have stories to share of their ancestors. I hope they will honor their heritage and name.






2 comments:

amy said...

I Love this!! Wishing we could be apart of these simple things....

Brooke said...

Fun! You were at the Purple Turtle and didn't call me!!! I live up the street...next time. :)