Sunday, August 31, 2008

California with the F'rent Girls



One the happiest times of my life was when I lived in the "For Rent" (F'rent) House in Logan with these girls.  I was struggling with a boyfriend (I'm SOOO glad I'm past that point of my life), and these girls got me through it. They stood by me even though I continued to make the same mistakes over and over.  I am better because they are my friends.  We had some great times.  Sliding down the stairs on our mattresses, building snowmen, doing hula dances in front of the windows of our bedroom, heading to Hawaii with boxes of food so we didn't have to spend so much money on groceries, skinny dipping with the sea turtles on a private beach, going to the temple together, brainstorming ideas on a brown paper bag taped to our kitchen wall, watching each other move on with our lives and knowing that no matter the time or distance we will always be friends.

Well, Mindo (the go-getter) is heading to Bristol, England to pursue her doctorate degree and then off to Mauritus to advance the island nation's education.  (She not only sounds amazing...she is!) Through e-mails we decided that we wanted to get together one last time before it will take a trip around the world.  So we booked the tickets to California to stay with Mindy.  It was my busiest weekend, and I felt insane leaving when I did.  I left on Friday at 8 p.m. after my week getting ready for school to start and returned on Sunday at 11:30 p.m. just in time for a few shut eyes before the first day of school. I would do it again!  Although I stressed about it, I had the greatest weekend.
Sarah came from Oregon, 7 months pregnant, and still as positive as ever.  She has always been my example of everything I want to be.  I loved talking with her about how she survives being a mother of 2 and keeping her energy up. She says that there are days that she has a hard time with it too.  If Sarah struggles sometimes than I guess it is o.k. that I do too.
Maria, who is so constant and so wise, came from Salt Lake.  We live so close but never seem to get together. She's working so hard as a nurse at Primary Children's and I love hearing about her adventures.  She really has it all together although she doesn't think she does.

Kimball (I couldn't leave my nursing baby!) and I arrived in LA and my aunt Amy, uncle Steve, and cousin Miranda picked me up. They took me to their house and let me stay with them.  It was great to see them.  I got to pick a grapefruit from their tree for breakfast and Amy made me poached eggs.  I had never had poached eggs and I loved them! We stayed up late talking and looking at pictures.  Then in the morning Amy took me to Mindy's house in Redondo Beach; after a quick trip to get some delicious ice cream.
With the girls, we went grocery shopping, got some lunch, went to the beach with Mindy's kids (loved them...they are Carter and Kathryn's ages and they were fun to be with), talked and talked some more.  Saturday night we splurged and went and saw Wicked!  It was fantastic and I loved the story!  Sunday we went to church, made a big lunch together, walked to the beach, and talked and talked some more!  I loved being with them and catching up.
One of the songs from Wicked really touched my heart, especially about these girls...
"I've heard it said that people come into our lives for a reason bringing something we must learn and we are led to those who help us most to grow if we let them and we help them in return. Well, I don't know if I believe that's true but I know I'm who I am today because I knew you."
They were put into my life for a reason and they have changed me for the good.
Thank you girls.  I love you!

2 comments:

Cate said...

Seeing Wicked was one of the first things I did when we moved here! I loved it!!!!!

Stella said...

I loved your post. I heard a quote last night that I had to laugh at, "God gave us friends to apologize for our families", right now, for me that is so fitting. My mom died 2 months ago, my dad is getting married in 2 weeks..., my sister won't talk to me, shall i go on? My point? I am so incredibly grateful for my friends right now. They really do see us through the hard times. Thanks for always being such a good friend MJ. Have a great weekend.