Saturday, January 17, 2009

Home Repair


Many of you have heard the story...
A few weeks before Christmas I was talking on the phone and headed into my bedroom. There I decided that I wanted to have a tub, so I started the water. Carter and Kathryn came running. When I get a tub it is complete with all three of my children climbing all over me. It is actually one of my favorite bonding times. When Chris is gone (which he was this day) it is the best way to keep them entertained without creating a new mess. But I digress...
45 minutes later after a refreshing bath tub, I got the kids in their jammies, and headed out of the back room to throw the dirty clothes down. In the kitchen, propped up in the water dispenser on the fridge is a cup that has been lodged in, making the water run freely out for the entire time I was taking a bath. The cup is full and needless to say my floor is covered with water. Who do I blame, but my dear sweet Kathryn who has recently learned how to get her own drink of water? I curse (just a little) and grab 10 towels to mop up the mess. The water cleans up easily and figure no reason to cry over spilled milk. I head downstairs to deposit the soaking towels and hear this: drip, drip, drip, drip. The water has leaked downstairs and is dripping out of tiny cracks in the ceiling. GRRR!
Well after calling my brother to come help me since Chris was at school, and then calling Chris HOME from school, we realize that the entire supporting beam of the wall is saturated with water. Chris and Ryan drilled several holes and watched water gush out!
Time to call the home owner insurance company! We filed a claim and decided that it was worth paying the $500 deductible because the floor in the kitchen area started to bow and the sheet rock needed to be replaced in the basement.
So here we are replacing the laminate flooring Chris installed barely 2 years ago. The saddest part is 75% of the floor is perfect...no water, no scratches, nothing. So is there anyone out that would want to install laminate flooring in their house? Chris is being real careful as he takes it out and it is in great condition. It's sad to think it might end up in our basement storage because I'm too cheap just to take it to the dump. I think I'm going to list it on Craig's list for a couple hundred dollars.
Lessons learned: Our dear sweet 2-year old has been banned from using the water dispenser nd now I check that the water is off whenever I turn on the bathtub. (Chris wanted to ban me from the bathtub, but I wone that battle). Also, I'm very glad we have the home owner insurance!

4 comments:

Standita's said...

Oh 2 year olds what havok they wreak! My little rat has given me a run for my money that's for sure. And yes, thank heavens for homeowners ins.!

LM said...

That is a sad story. Check your owner's manuel and see if your fridge has a way to lock the buttons so it does not function unless you unlock it, and then make sure she is not watching when it gets unlocked! Sorry about the mess!

Amy said...

FRUSTRATING!!! Sometimes life really just bites...I hate those kind of things that make you use your insurance. Thank heavens for insurance though!!

Stella said...

Ohhhhhhhh Nooooooooo! I am so sorry! It's a good thing you had a tub before it all happened, right? At least you were all relaxed and pampered (well as pampered as a tub full of kids can get anyway!).