Monday, March 9, 2009

A journal

I've really sat down several times to blog...but seem to get interrupted every time. I'm back to trying to justify the time that I spend blogging. I love to blog, but feel like it takes so long to go through all my thoughts. My mom told me to use it as a journal so that I can remember the little things. So here are some things I want to remember:

  • Ski Utah has a program that they let 4th graders get a ski lesson, rental, and pass for a great deal. As a teacher they give us a free pass to be there with the kids. In the morning of the ski day, while my students were in their lessons, Chris and I skied. Chris is an awesome skier; I, on the other hand, am not. It hurts my feet really bad and I have a little fear of going down hill on my numb feet. But this day, it really wasn't that bad. I enjoyed being with Chris and I actually enjoyed skiing. At lunchtime, my mom brought Carter up to ski with Chris. He did awesome. By the end of the day he was skiing down the hill by himself. "Aim for the pole, aim for the tree" veered him in the right direction. We still need to work on the stopping. He just crashes.


  • Chris and I got called into the Bishop's office a couple of weeks ago. During the interview Chris was grilled on his schedule and what his work involves. I was beginning to wonder if they were going to put him in some calling that was going to require a lot more time. Instead I was given a calling of being the 2nd counselor in the Relief Society Presidency. I am very excited about this opportunity. I have loved the enlightenment I have felt. I look at the sisters in my ward and feel a kinship towards them. I always wanted to be friends with the people in my ward, I just sat around and waited for someone else to make the first move. Now with this calling, I feel that there are maybe other sisters who are waiting for someone to be their friend. I hope I will always remember this, and not let a calling give me the go ahead to serve and reach out. I feel bad that I haven't been better at this. I will miss being in nursery. I loved getting to know the nursery kids and loved feeling their love. It really is the secret calling in the church. Those kids love you to death and it is an honor to teach them some of their first lessons of Christ.

  • The other day I was sweeping the floor. Kathryn was standing there and said, "Mommy, don't sweep me!" Is that a little humorous personality I see developing? It was really funny!



  • Saturday we went snowmobiling with Ryan and Kelly and their family. We took my parents snowmobiles up to Monte Cristo and just played in the meadow by the parking lot. It was really low-key but very enjoyable. We missed the rest of the family...maybe next time.

  • I made corned beef for dinner on Sunday. Carter ate some! And liked it! Miracles NEVER cease!
  • We were driving today and I looked back and say Bumble going "Bbbbbb" (ya know making raspberries with his lips) while the car was shaking him. It looked like he was in one of those massage chairs and his lips were being shaken. I laughed and then he gave me one of those to die for smiles!

  • We have ventured out to the Draper Temple Open House TWICE! (with the kids...need I say more?) The first time we went with some friends, and the second time we went with some neighbors/friends. It was a beautiful experience, especially today. Our friends were not members of the Church, and asked some really good questions. I love to share my testimony. The kids seemed harder than they probably were. Chris sometimes gets stressed out with their behaviors and then it stresses me out and I swear they feel the stress and start acting out even more. Well...tonight Carter and I were discussing the temple. He said his favorite part was "the room with the mirrors, ya know the sealing room?" I asked him if he remembers what happens in that room. (He was being particularly hard at this point of the tour as it was at the end). He said, "That's where we get sealed so we can be together forever and ever and ever." I love that he learned that lesson. It was a very special moment to look in the mirrors and see MY family go on forever. I hope that we can live our lives in a way that will allow us to spend eternity together.

7 comments:

Megan said...

Mary Jane, I find the cupcake places from the blog http://utahlovescupcakes.com/
So far she hasn't listed any in Layton, but there's a Vegan one in Bountiful and a bunch in SLC.

Cate said...

I wish I lived near a new temple, I would love the opportunity to take my kids to an open house! And YAY, for getting to be in Relief Society every week and getting to be so inspired!

Brooke and Ben said...

What a great post. You will be great in your new calling! I envy the ladies in your Relief Society. What a great leader they have in you.
Carter looks so tiny on those little skis. What a great memory.

Traci said...

Mary, I love hearing what you guys are up too! You and Chris are the cutest parents. Kathryn seems to be growing up fast all of a sudden, her hair looks great!! Thanks for sharing the fun memories. I am glad you still decide to blog!

LM said...

I am so excited to work with you in Relief Society, you are a great friend. I love that we had so many years with you being my visiting teacher so we could get to know each other!

Amy said...

Ok since I don't have your email address here is my reply to your comment. No we do not go the expo. We are actually renting a cabin east of Heber from Thurs-Sun. We just scrap ALL weekend. It is a BLAST!! I HAVE done a camping/scrapbooking trip. My sister and I did with our families. It was a lot of fun except our scrapbook stuff got a lot of dirt and stuff in it...so it is better to rent somewhere!

West said...

The Brewer's miss the Coombs'z. Anytime you need some friends to go up to Monte Cristo or Bear Lake(hint hint) on Big Daddy Mikes sleds we are ready and willing. The Draper temple was great. If you want to go a 3rd time with old/longer distance neighbor/friends let us know. Emma would love to go on the "Horsey Bus" to See the Temple with the bathtub with cows.