Sunday, November 16, 2008

Gratitude in Parent Teacher conference week

Although a week has passed and I haven't blogged my gratitude, I have found many things to be grateful for this week.
I had parent teacher conferences this week which equal a lot of time and exhaustion.  So for my Gratitude #8 (Monday) I would have to be grateful for the opportunity to meet one-on-one with my students and their parents.  When I met with the individual families I am reminded of the uniqueness of each of my students.  It is wonderful to celebrate their strengths and suggest areas to improve.  I have a fantastic class that is willing to reach higher.  I am grateful that I work with gifted students that have an amazing love for learning.

Also because of the long hours, my heart was once again, overflowed with love and appreciation for my MOTHER. My Gratitude #9 (Tuesday).  What would I do without her?  She takes my children whenever I cannot be with them.  This past week she was probably with the kids more than I was.  On Tuesday she babysat from 12:00 p.m. till 8:00 p.m and then Wednesday she had them from 8:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. Then she also tended them on Thursday from 8:00 a.m. until 3:30 p.m.  She is the best grandmother and I feel so lucky that I can take them to her and not think twice if they are happy and having their needs met.  I will never be able to repay her.

Gratitude #10 (Wednesday) - I am thankful for friends.  I have some of the best friends.  I appreciate my friendships with the people I work with.  Since I only teach part-time I feel secluded at school. When I'm at school, I usually have to get the work done and then get out of there. But this week of conferences, as teachers we need each other.  The dinner time provided by the PTA is like 40 minutes of heaven!  We get to talk to each other, vent, and rally around each other.  I'm grateful for the experiences of others and how they buoy me up.  I'm also very thankful for Catherine. She was my previous teaching partner.  I'm grateful that she knows me and knows what to say to me to stop the tears and my personal punches.

My gratitude #11 (Thursday) is the life lessons I learn from my students and their parents. Since I have become a parent, I have a new appreciation for the active and involved parent.  It is a big job to raise responsible children.  I hope that I will remember some of the sacrifices that my students' parents have made to lay the groundwork for their children.  I love learning from the parent that helps their child grow and encourages them lovingly to do better and find areas to improve on. One day, not too far away, I will be sitting in an SEP conference, on the other side of the table.  I hope I will be able to be a parent that teachers will admire because I am helping my child.  It really does take the teacher and the parents to ensure success in the child's education.

Gratitude #12 (Friday) is that I am only a part-time teacher.  I loved that I didn't have to go to school on Friday.  I got to stay home with my kids, go to a boutique with my mom, get my errands done, and be rejuvenated after a long SEP week.

No comments: