Friday, November 7, 2008

To teach...

Gratitude #5
I have the best job.  I am so lucky to get to stay home with my kids two days a week (and every other Friday) and then work two days. I teach 4th grade in the Spectrum program.  I have a class that is full of motivated, enthusiastic, and intelligent students.  I really enjoy going to work and getting to teach these great kids. I am constantly amazed at how much they know and how much I learn from them!  I admire these gifted children.  They are very well-rounded and have such great comments in class discussions.
I am also lucky to have a good teaching partner - Channing!  I work with some great people and am lucky to call my colleagues my friends.  I am also grateful for a supportive principal that allows the sky to be the limit.
I am also very grateful for the relationships that I have developed over the years through teaching.  Since I teach with the gifted children, their parents are extremely involved in their education.  (Which is a really good thing in MOST cases!)  I love to have parents in the classroom and I love to get to know them.  I consider some of my student's parents some of my dearest friends and examples.
Today my class was in charge of hosting the incentive party for 100 kids.  One of my parents planned the neatest Hawaiian Luau.  Another parent, who was born and raised in Hawaii, cooked us Kahlua pork, sticky rice, and provided Hawaiian dance lessons.  Many parents came and helped pull this AWESOME activity together. Many parents donated money, treats, time, and materials to have fun engaging activities.  I love being able to offer great enrichment activities because I have great parents to support me.  I am thankful for parent involvement.
I am thankful that I teach!

3 comments:

Cate said...

You are an awesome teacher! Those kids are lucky to have you.

Stella said...

MJ, you are awesome. I just checked in to look at your gratitudes and was simply inspired. Thank you for your sweetness!

Megan said...

oh, teaching! I miss it so much. And your principal IS amazing. love that Lucinda!!!! I can't wait to teach again.